What about visas?

International students graduating from an American University can easily apply for legal *OPT (Optional Practical Training) status allowing them to work immediately for up to three years** after graduation on their extended student visa. They will not require any separate or additional work visa sponsorship from the hiring company.

What is OPT?

Who is eligible for OPT?

Pre-completion OPT:

Post-completion OPT:

Can students participate in both pre-completion and post-completion OPT?

Can any company hire OPT interns?

What if I want to hire someone long term beyond the period of OPT?

What is H1-B?

After OPT, Overseas employment options

*Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a period during which international undergraduate and graduate students with F-1 visa status are permitted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work on the basis of their student visa towards getting practical (job) training to complement and strengthen their education in the U.S. The OPT program is available to all F-1 international students who have completed or have been pursuing their degrees at a U.S. higher education institution for more than nine months. **Three years for graduates from STEM degree programs and one year for graduates from all other majors.